Thursday 21 February 2013

Anne’s Story

In January 2002 my husband was admitted to hospital and I was told it was unlikely he would survive, 2 weeks later the hospital chaplain asked if I would like to talk and I told him where to go, not very politely. A couple of days later I had to make the decision to turn off life support and I said I would like to talk to the Chaplain, I spent about 45 minutes shouting and swearing and telling him what I thought about his God, he listened.

 Anne's Story
The day my husband died the Chaplain phoned me at home asked how I was and if I needed anything, I didn’t understand how someone who I had been so horrible to could have done that.

The next few months were desperate, I had been drinking too much for years and I wanted to kill myself. In July I was admitted to a psychiatric hospital to dry out and what I thought would be the end of my life was the beginning of a new life.

I came out and joined a 12 step fellowship where I developed a faith that I saw as very personal and non-religious. A lady became my sponsor and we spent hours talking about faith, God and spirituality and eventually organised religion. About 3 months after agreeing I would try attending a Church service I went to the Church on the hill that I always seemed to notice when I was going to Tesco’s and then I found myself in the car park. The bells were ringing and I walked up the hill and went in just before 10.30 on the third Sunday of Lent 2008. I sat on my own, no one talked to me and I think this helped me to return the following week.

On Easter Saturday my friend was Confirmed at the Cathedral, I went along to the service and found myself queuing for a blessing but not really knowing why. This was the start of my journey within the Church, on 30th November 2008 I was Baptised at St Michaels in the morning and then Confirmed at St Paul’s in the evening. I completed the Alpha course, Growing Leaders and trained to become a Pastoral Assistant. I feel it is important for me to give back some of what I have received.

My life is very different because I live in a different area, have a different career, think differently and treat others well, I live a full and contented life.

 

What’s your faith story?

stories@camberleyconnections.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment