Saturday 23 February 2013

Russ’s Story

I grew up in a family that had nothing to do with church. Nine years ago, I thought all Christians wore white socks and sandals, sung Kum ba Yah, didn’t drink, smoke, go clubbing or do any of the things I enjoyed! I thought that church was boring and irrelevant to my life.

RussI was considered very successful. By the age of 25 I was the Deputy Chief Executive of a local council. I had a good salary, a girlfriend, a house, and a 1979 Mark II Rolls Royce Silver Shadow.

The truth was I was anything but happy. I was working all hours, very stressed and the more material stuff I surrounded myself with, the more I wanted, and the less it satisfied.

Then I found out my girlfriend was seeing someone else, because I was always at work. I became seriously depressed and tried to take my own life.

I found out that it breaks God’s heart when we suffer. He didn’t want me to live a shallow, self-centred, materialistic life. He actually wanted me to live in a relationship with him and one another. When someone told me about this I suddenly realised that all the material stuff was not what life was about. I decided to ask God to forgive me for ignoring him and living life my own way.

Now my life couldn’t be more different. I joined a church and have experienced a depth of friendship, support and love, the like of which I have never experienced before.

 

What’s your faith story?

stories@camberleyconnections.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment